Monitoring busy servers

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Tue Dec 27 10:30:49 UTC 2016

> Do we have technology for making flow charts?  Are they better than text?
> For the MRU stuff, I think I can do a decent job with text.  (It's not that
> complicated.)  Should the text go in the code or in a separate doc where the
> ntpq documentation can refer to it?  ...

I would do this kind of thing in pic, which is why I wrote the pic2graph
tool in the groff suite.

[long description omitted]
> Ahh.  Maybe I just figured it out.  There is a design oversight in the MRU
> recycle/preempt logic.

You are way, way ahead of me in understanding that code.  Do what you think
is needed.  Try to document semantic changes.

> More cruft.  All the tests for oldest != NULL can be removed.  If the list is
> totally empty, the slot would have come from the free list.

Do it.  I think my best course is to stay out of your way so we don't
generate merge conflicts.