broadcastclient ?

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Thu Dec 22 21:20:08 UTC 2016

> While following cruft, I noticed that auth is a keyword and that T_Auth is
> only used once in a way that seemed strange.  The other usage is deep within
> the parser.  It sets up a table.  That seems cute rather than clean to me,
> but maybe there is some trick I don't appreciate.

I see this:

counter_set_keyword
	:	T_Allpeers
	|	T_Auth
	|	T_Ctl
	|	T_Io
	|	T_Mem
	|	T_Sys
	|	T_Timer
	;

It's referenced from inside a 'reset' syntax.

> Look at config_reset_counters
> Looks like the loop and select can be replaced by a simple handful of calls,
> then the reset_counters slot in ptree goes away along with the wart in the
> parser.

What loop and select?

I think the intent here is to enable you to type ":config reset auth" in
ntpq and reset the counter tracking authorization lookups.

> Windows using broadcast is plausible, but a quick scan with google doesn't
> find enough to convince me that it's an important use case.

Yes, I'm a bit dubious about that myself.  But I can also believe that
Mark knows something I don't.