Direct-mode MRU

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Thu Dec 22 11:42:11 UTC 2016

Hal, I couldn't think up a better UI than yours for direct mode.
I don't like it much, but I think under our constraints you did
as well as you could.

I've docmented it better, and also added a common section to the
"known bugs" portions of the ntpq and ntpmon pages explaining the
underlying problem.

It's not obvious to me how we can do any better than this. The
only other shot in my locker would be to reduce the client library's
memory usage, but since that would uglify the code some I'm not
going to actually do it until we have evidence that this is
an actual blocker.

Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of
authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was
made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There
are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to
govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
	-- Daniel Webster