Nonce aging has been repaired

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Tue Dec 20 18:49:46 UTC 2016

>> Note that it is using the old nonce.
> I had to stare at this for quite a while before I figured it out.
> When I switched from the old C code's buggy use of a counter to trigger the
> new nonce request to a timeout, I also needed to invert the order of
> operation of the nonce request and the MRU fragment request from the way C
> ntpq did it.  It was kinda subtle.

The second batch all started to work after I learned enough about the code to
find the place to drop in the 2 or 3 lines of code to process the new nonce
in the returned data.

I'm not sure the code you are describing works correctly.  I've seen lots of
confusion on a lossy link.  I haven't looked into it.

> I think you'll find it works better now.  There's a fair chance this fixes
> Sanjeev's tracker bug #206, too.

It's more complicated than that.  I'll try in another message.

--------

> I'm going to have a look at improving that documentation today. It's in a
> rather parlous state.

I added a few lines for maxlsint.

There are also KoD and ??? that are shortcuts for something else.  There is
some simple mapping.