broadcastclient ?

Sanjeev Gupta ghane0 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 18 04:28:07 UTC 2016

On Sun, Dec 18, 2016 at 12:10 PM, Eric S. Raymond <esr at thyrsus.com> wrote:

> > Can I clarify:
> > This 'multicast' is not necessarily the same as the IANA addresses,
> > 224.0.1.1 and FF0X::101.
>
> Correct.  As you note, the documentation used ti caution agains using
> the IANA multicat address. I don't know why.

I assume because you might (as a client) try to use 224.0.1.1 as a server,
send out a query, and die under the millions of servers that respond.
Thankfully, this was avoided by no one using multicast on the public
internet (whew!).

I would like a Time Lord to answer the below (preferably without reading
the documentation):

As a broadcast client, I listen to broadcast messages.  I know what happens
when I get one, I mobilise an (ephermal) association.  What if I get two?

As a broadcast client, I listen to broadcast messages. Do I ever
grab-n-prune?

When a manycast server replies for the first time, what IP address does it
use as the sender?

--
Sanjeev Gupta
+65 98551208     http://www.linkedin.com/in/ghane