broadcastclient ?

Sanjeev Gupta ghane0 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 18 03:55:33 UTC 2016

On Sat, Dec 17, 2016 at 12:34 AM, Eric S. Raymond <esr at thyrsus.com> wrote:

> All the multicast stuff is now gone, client and server side both. My
> original plan was to keep multicast server just in case, though I can
> find zero evidence anywhere of production use.  But it turned out to
> be too entangled with things we wanted to drop.  Daniel's comment from
> his infosec perch was "Good riddance."
>
> I would have been more worried about dropping these things, but it
> seems to me from search-engining the issue that to the extent
> automatic server discovery was ever actually used in Unix-land, those
> use cases have largely been taken over by pool-style DNS
> round-robining.

Can I clarify:
This 'multicast' is not necessarily the same as the IANA addresses,
224.0.1.1 and FF0X::101.

http://doc.ntp.org/4.1.1/confopt.htm says:
The NTP multicast address 224.0.1.1 assigned by the IANA should NOT be
used, unless specific means are taken to avoid spraying large areas of the
Internet with these messages

https://docs.ntpsec.org/latest/discover.html
does not have this section, of course.

On my IPv6-enabled server, the ntpsec by default does not seem to be
listening to 224.0.1.1 , and ::101
--
Sanjeev Gupta
+65 98551208     http://www.linkedin.com/in/ghane