ntpq, pool

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Sun Dec 18 00:34:03 UTC 2016

Yo Hal!

On Sat, 17 Dec 2016 15:17:05 -0800
Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net> wrote:

> gem at rellim.com said:
> >> I assume that's a typo.  The counter has to be in ntpq
> >> rather than ntpd. ntpd doesn't store any state for clients.
> > My experiments with the lastest ntpmon contradict your statement.
> > ntpd does seem to be keeping the number of requests in the mrulist
> > between ntpmon runs.
>
> Please say more.  I can't quite figure out what you are trying to say.

Start ntpmon, look at the count of localhost requests.

Stop ntpmon.

Start a new ntpmon, look at the count of localhost requests.

Note the number did not restart at zero, the number of requests is
since ntpd restarted.

Dito for other hosts in the mrulist.

Ergo: ntpd is keeping some state for remote hosts, per host.

> The "this one" is state info, but it's stored at the ntpq client
> rather than the server.

I am not using ntpq.  And I am restarting ntpmon.  ntpmon does not
save anything to a file, so it is not saving any state.

Ergo: ntpd is keeping some state for remote hosts, per host.