broadcastclient ?

Frank Nicholas frank at nicholasfamilycentral.com
Sat Dec 17 11:22:56 UTC 2016

> On Dec 17, 2016, at 3:00 AM, Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net> wrote:
>

>> I would have been more worried about dropping these things, but it seems to
>> me from search-engining the issue that to the extent automatic server
>> discovery was ever actually used in Unix-land, those use cases have largely
>> been taken over by pool-style DNS round-robining.
>
> There is also the option of distributing NTP servers via DHCP.  I don't know
> how often that is used.

Most modern retail routers/WiFi access points will distribute NTP via DHCP.  dd-wrt (popular open source firmware for routers/WiFi access points) will distribute NTP via DHCP.  I personally use pfSense (based on FreeBSD) and it pushes NTP via DHCP.

My linux (Gentoo) installations and macOS based systems accept the NTP settings from pfSense.  I’m not sure about Windows.

Thanks,
Frank