Documenting differences from ntp-classic

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sat Dec 17 09:15:17 UTC 2016

[was broadcastclient]

esr at thyrsus.com said:
>> We really should have a single top-level file that covers all
>> the simple differences from ntp-classic.
> It's a section on docs/index.txt.  I'm careful to keep it up to date.

Thanks.  That looks good.  I wonder how people are going to find it.  How
about a pointer at the top of README and INSTALL?

---------

* peer mode has been removed.  The keyword peer in ntp.conf is now
  just an alias for keyword server.  Incoming peer packets are ignored.

Are incoming peer packets really ignored?  I thought I saw something about
they get treated as client requests so the other end will keep working.

If they are ignored, we should count them and dump them early and cleanup the
code a bit.  Searching for MODE_PASSIVE or MODE_ACTIVE may uncover
opportunities.

--------

* When running as root, the ntpq utility looks in /etc/ntp.conf and
  /usr/local/etc/ntp.keys to find credentials for control requests
  that require authentication. Thus it is not necessary to enter
  them by hand.

That only works if you are talking to localhost.

>From docs/includes/ntpq-body.txt

If you are running as root or otherwise have read access to the
authkey and ntp.conf file, ntpq will mine the required credentials
for you. Otherwise you will be prompted to enter a key ID and password.

Credentials, once entered, are retained and used for the duration
of your ntpq session.

Should the credentials get reset when you change hosts?