ntpmon now has some keystroke commands

Achim Gratz Stromeko at nexgo.de
Tue Dec 13 20:10:08 UTC 2016

Eric S. Raymond writes:
> I had it working like that for a while.  The problem is that there is no
> way to satisfy all three of the following constraints:
>
> 1. ntpmon options have the same semantics as corresponding ntpq options
> 2. option letters are the same as the corresponding command keys
> 3. commands are natural mnemonics in English
>
> The simplest way to get to a consistent UI design was to remove all
> command-line options.  Which is a good idea anyway - less to remember,
> and the command keystrokes cover the functionality.

My objection wasn't that the options might or might not fit the above
constraints.  It was that a program that can be used interactively it
shouldn't force me to interact with it.  Whether the options of ntpmon
aren't consistent with ntpq I don't really care.  It's a new program and
if I can use it to replace my the command line using 'watch -n5 ntpq …'
then I'll likely switch.

Regards,
Achim.