Interface-scanning is dead weight

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Sat Dec 10 19:00:01 UTC 2016

Mark, heads up!  Issue with policy implications.

Now that it looks like we don't need to write a new restriction
language, I think we should consider changing the restriction
defaults.

Pretty much every distribution in the universe ships a default
ntp.conf with a restriction sectio that looks like this:

# By default, exchange time with everybody, but don't allow configuration.
restrict default kod limited nomodify nopeer noquery
restrict -6 default kod limited nomodify nopeer noquery

# Local users may interrogate the NTP server more closely.
restrict 127.0.0.1
restrict -6 ::1

I'm requesting comment on the following behavior change:

(1) Make these the default restrictions at startup, replacing none at all.

(2) Retain current behavior if built with --enable-classic-mode.

Government should be weak, amateurish and ridiculous. At present, it
fulfills only a third of the role.	-- Edward Abbey