ntpmon should be more usable now

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Thu Dec 8 21:28:22 UTC 2016

esr at thyrsus.com said:
> It now traps attempts to draw past end of screen. And takes a hostname
> argument.  -n and -w options parallel to those of ntpq have been added.

Thanks.  It's off the ground.  I get a screen full of ntpq printout when
pointed at a system with lots of servers but nothing ever appears on screen
when pointed at a system with only a few servers.

Ahhh.  I didn't wait long enough.  I think it was off doing DNS lookups.  I
have what seems like a reasonable example with a 30 second update cycle.
It's got 5 IPv6 names that don't resolve and I have a download running on a
slow DSL link.  All other names are local.

A system using the pool will have similar problems - all names will be
non-local.

I think it would help to flush each line.

A cache for DNS lookups (including fails) is probably a good idea.  Hammering
on DNS is not polite.  Is there a python package that does that?