broadcastclient ?

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Thu Dec 8 09:04:18 UTC 2016

[moved from users@]

esr at thyrsus.com said:
> That is correct.  Broadcast client mode has been removed because it is
> impossible to secure.

We really should have a single top-level file that covers all the simple
differences from ntp-classic.

We should probably patch the parser to emit an error message with a pointer
to that file.  Or is the whole message (above) for this case simple enough
that we should include it inline?

Should that sort of trap fail to start?  Will users get surprised when they
miss the error message or annoyed when they know what to expect but they have
to work harder to try it?

-------

I took a quick look at the code.  There is quite a bit of broadcastclient
cruft that didn't get removed.  Any reason not to nuke it?

What's the story on broadcast/multicast server mode?  If we don't have a
client, is there any reason for a server?