PPS undersampling

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Wed Aug 31 06:24:26 UTC 2016

> Hm. I think I get it - and you've just added a pretty powerful reason to
> eventually pull the refclocks into a separate daemon by telling me I need to
> get ntpd itself out of the PPS-watching business entirely in order to get
> rid of that timer.

The reason I want to get rid of the every-second timer is to save power when
operating on battery with no refclocks.

If you have a PPS, you have to take an interrupt every second.  I'm not a
wizard on that area.  It would be interesting to know if you can get useful
interrupt responses when starting from a power-save mode.  Similarly, can you
wakeup in time to get data from a serial port without dropping any
characters?  It may be that power-save just won't happen if you are using
refclocks.

Moving the PPS processing out of ntpd doesn't change any of that.