Stratum one autonomy and assumptions about GPS

Achim Gratz Stromeko at nexgo.de
Tue Aug 30 16:01:38 UTC 2016

Gary E. Miller writes:
> Most cheaper GPS always output PPS, even when they have no idea
> where they are or what time it is.  Garmin documents this, as do others.

Well, the NavSpark mini does not output a PPS until it aquires a 3D
lock, as documented.  The configuration program has options to either
keep the PPS indefinitely on, stop after losing 2D lock or stop after
losing 3D lock.  Unfortunately both the query and the configuration
commands are NACKed by the mini, so I don't know what the setting
actually is and the documentation is inconclusive.  From reading some
blog post (that I can't find again right now) my impression was it
should be stopping the PPS, but I have not seen that happen.  It seems
to output PPS at least through periods of 2D lock.  I have not yet
managed to blind the GPS antenna completely, though, so I can't know
what happens when it loses all signal.  I'm not too keen on prying that
U.FL connector lose while it's operating.

Regards,
Achim.