Which interfaces are important today to define a time-hardware snap interface

Christian Ehrhardt christian.ehrhardt at canonical.com
Wed Aug 24 14:29:31 UTC 2016

Hi,
I'm back from PTO and continued on the snap packaging of ntpsec.
Background details on interfaces:
https://github.com/snapcore/snapd/blob/master/docs/interfaces.md

Based on grep -Hrn '\/dev\/' | awk '{gsub(".*/dev/", "/dev/"); print $1}' |
sort |uniq
I tried to summarize what an "time-hardware" interface for snappy might be.

TL;DR - think of it as a list of things allowed to be accessed

I streamlined the list a bit for readability.
I removed some on my own like /dev/kmem being the opposite of isolation :-)
But please let me know if I forgot something.

/dev/acts%d+
/dev/cuaa%d+
/dev/device%d+
/dev/dumbclock%d+
/dev/gps%d+
/dev/gpspps%d+
/dev/hpgps%d+
/dev/icom
/dev/jjy%d+
/dev/neoclock4x-%d+
/dev/oncore.pps.%d+
/dev/oncore.serial.%d+
/dev/palisade%d+
/dev/pps%d+
/dev/refclock-%d+
/dev/spectracom%d+
/dev/trimble%d+
/dev/true%d"
/dev/zyfer%d+

- Do we also need like /dev/ttyS%d+ ?
- I hope you could suggest if we could drop some of these by being no more
important today or in general?

To be honest - I personally only ever "met" /dev/pps, but then i'm no NTP
expert so please advise what is would be reasonable to define such an
interface.
If I look at the usually used apparmor profile it only lists /dev/pps as
well, but provides an option to add own devices - so there might be some of
the list above still important.

FWIW - if in doubt I'd prefer to better keep the list short.

--
Christian Ehrhardt
Software Engineer, Ubuntu Server