PPS undersampling

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Wed Aug 24 00:16:12 UTC 2016

Yo Eric!

On Tue, 23 Aug 2016 20:07:21 -0400
"Eric S. Raymond" <esr at thyrsus.com> wrote:

> Gary E. Miller <gem at rellim.com>:
> > Sadly, PPS with the current algorithm should bump up to sampling
> > every one-half second.  Some even want 10 Hz or even 100 Hz.
> >
> > Let us leave it on the long-term to-do list and not hash over it
> > now. The subject is complicated and contentious.  Way too many
> > moving parts in a core chunk of the code to touch without
> > TESTFRAME.  I also expect TESTFRAME will smoke out some of these
> > issues and also have its own different timer loop needs.
>
> Hm. I think I get it - and you've just added a pretty powerful reason
> to eventually pull the refclocks into a separate daemon by telling me
> I need to get ntpd itself out of the PPS-watching business entirely
> in order to get rid of that timer.

Sadly that does not solve the problem.  You still have the problem of
how to watch the PPS watcher.  :-)

There will be many ways to skin this cat, but first we need to fatten up
this cat, obtain the other ingredients of the stew, and boil the water.

So let us leave the fun stuff of ripping up the algorithms until after
TESTFRAME.