PPS undersampling

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Tue Aug 23 23:43:32 UTC 2016

Yo Eric!

On Tue, 23 Aug 2016 19:32:55 -0400
"Eric S. Raymond" <esr at thyrsus.com> wrote:

> Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net>:
> >                                                                We
> > should get rid of the current every-second timer unless some
> > refclock needs it. (battery power)  The PPS API has an optional
> > wait/wakeup option.  We should use that if available.  The timer
> > stuff also covers when to transmit a packet, but we should peek
> > ahead and set the timeout on the select for as long as possible.
> > But all that should wait until after TESTFRAME so we can test it.
>
> Agreed.  This has been on my long-term to-do list for some time.

Sadly, PPS with the current algorithm should bump up to sampling every
one-half second.  Some even want 10 Hz or even 100 Hz.

Let us leave it on the long-term to-do list and not hash over it now.
The subject is complicated and contentious.  Way too many moving parts
in a core chunk of the code to touch without TESTFRAME.  I also expect
TESTFRAME will smoke out some of these issues and also have its own
different timer loop needs.