Comments about ntpviz

Achim Gratz Stromeko at nexgo.de
Tue Aug 23 16:04:26 UTC 2016

Hal Murray writes:
> Using microseconds for everything is hard to read for long delays typical of
> network links.  In bufferbloat cases, I see delays of several seconds.  I've
> seen delays of 10s of seconds.  I can't count all those 0s quickly.  I think
> milliseconds would be better.  (Looks like Gary tweaked things while I was
> typing this in.)

What I do is scale the delat-times with an asinh, which makes it linear
around zero and logarithmic further out, plus it automatically accepts
zero and negative input.  Depending on the the base level of noise you'd
need to change the sclaing constant that determines where the "knee"
going from logarithmic to linear is.  If your preprocessing gives you
the MAD or sigma, then you can use that to compute that constant.

I monitor the PPS signal via ppswatch.  That gives you a file that grows
enormously, but you'll have all the data independently of ntp recording
it.

Regards,
Achim.

Wavetables for the Terratec KOMPLEXER: