Possible abuse from fetching the leap second file

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Mon Aug 15 21:03:23 UTC 2016

fallenpegasus at gmail.com said:
> The long term, I like the DNS for solutions to this kind of problem.  But,
> under what name?

I think piggybacking on the time zone database is a better solution.

There are 2 parts to the problem.  One is when the next leap second is
scheduled.  The other is the whole chain of leap seconds.  The kernel needs
the first which what ntpd tells it.  The second is needed by time conversion
routines.

The current DNS implementation is a demo.  If you want to use it for real,
you will have to setup an infrastructure to run highly reliable servers that
are likely to be targets for script kiddies.

fallenpegasus at gmail.com said:
> Let's do that!  Hal, others, do you happen to have copies of all the past
> leap files, so we can synthesize a git history for it?

I have some, not all.  There is a good chance you could get them all from
NIST.