Possible abuse from fetching the leap second file

Kurt Roeckx kurt at roeckx.be
Mon Aug 15 09:29:28 UTC 2016

On Sun, Aug 14, 2016 at 03:49:15PM -0700, Hal Murray wrote:
> Matt Selsky is working on Pythonizing the script that grabs a new leap second
> file.  The idea is to run a cron job that keeps it up to date.  That opens an
> interesting can of worms.

I've been pondering about using ntp-classic's script for that in
Debian, but decided not to.  I also don't know if there is any
other Linux distribution that automates this.

However, I already get a /usr/share/zoneinfo/leap-seconds.list
from the tzdata package that updates the timezone information and
I should probably look into using that file to update things.
Those files get regular updates.  The tz at iana.org list has been
notified, the git repository updated, there just hans't been a
release since.

There has been a proposal by Poul-Henning Kamp to use an DNS
A-record for it, see:
http://phk.freebsd.dk/time/20151122.html

I don't know if this went anywhere.

Kurt