driftMime-Version: 1.0

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Wed Aug 3 23:52:31 UTC 2016

Yo Hal!

On Wed, 03 Aug 2016 16:23:44 -0700
Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net> wrote:

> gem at rellim.com said:
> > Except ntpviz only took a few days, and likely only needs another
> > day or two.  Just needs some tweaks to the graphs, and a harness to
> > create all the graphs automagically from the ntp.conf.  Plus maybe
> > an html generator.
>
> Plus all the other stuff that you toss in once that gets working well
> enough to see what else you want.

I've been using chrony-graph for months now.  When ntpviz mostly duplicates
that, I'll be happy for the mear term.

> > TESTFRAME might take the rest of the year.
>
> It will take even longer if Eric keeps working on other things.
>
> We need to get Eric focused on TESTFRAME.

I suspect that Eric has not dived into TESTFRAME since he does not have
a good mental model he likes yet.  That is the hard part, and the part
I think he is unsure on.

If it were me, I'd consider shimming a few syscalls: adjtime(), send(),
recv(), clock_gettime().  Maybe at the runtime linker level, maybe
at the libntpd_lib.a level.

Then run a good ntpd in record mode.  With that saved data, a test
ntpd could be run in playback mode.

To keep the playback time small, maybe also a way to save internal state
to a file, and reload that state in a test ntpd.  A nice state dump
could also be a good debugging tool.