driftMime-Version: 1.0

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Wed Aug 3 10:13:47 UTC 2016

gem at rellim.com said:
> 1.  On startup chronyd checks the time stamp on the drift file.
>     if the timestamp > sysclock, the sysclock is set to the timestamp

I vote that we don't do anything, not even make it optional behind a command
line switch.

We have more important things to do.

The OS should be doing that sort of thing, probably using the root directory.
Why stop with the drift file?  Should we check the log files too?

It's the sort of code that is hard to test and likely to have subtle problems.

I think it's a good item to put on the what-do-customers-want list.

> 2.  ntpd stores the frequency ppm offset in the driftfile.
>     chronyd stores the frequency ppm offset and the 'skew'
> (estimated accuracy of the existing frequency value).

> I can see that saving the 'skew' is a nice touch, but I suspect much the
> good chronyd startup behavior is explained elsewhere.

I'm not sure that ntpd has a parameter equivalent to skew.

Again, I vote that we don't do anything now.  The current startup stuff is
broken.  There is no point in working on things like this until we understand
and fix the current problems.

gem at rellim.com said:
> In a related topic, it would be nice (maybe an option) for ntpd to hold off
> logging the initial aweful data until after the -g option has set the system
> clock.  And a bit longer, so the wonky startup data is masked.

But that is when you really really want the logging.

I might agree to put it someplace other than the normal place.