soon, Navisys GR-701-W

Amar Takhar verm at darkbeer.org
Fri Apr 15 18:15:28 UTC 2016

On 2016-04-15 17:57 +0000, Mark Atwood wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have just ordered a batch of the Navisys GR-701-W USB connected GPS
> receivers.  They are probably at least 5 weeks from delivery to my
> hackerspace.   When they arrive, I will ship some to some NTPsec people, and
> then put the rest up for sale as an electronics part up on Etsy and Tindie,
> probably for about $45/each.   If I work out a good enough way to do it, I may
> have the NTPsec logo & url silkscreened onto the them.

Very cool!  I could certainly take two of these.  I have been looking for some
USB GPS receivers but I have absolutely no idea bout them.  It's tough to find
one that seems reasonable/reliable.

> I decided not to at this time order a lot of the Navisys GR-701-T, which is a
> TTL interface with a PPS line.  While this is a more precise source and easier
> for RasbPi/etc hobbyists, they are more likely to want to use the GPS receiver
> HAT and daughterboard units already easily available to them.

Makes sense.  I'm looking at buying ~20 GPS chips and soldering up my own boards
for them.  This way if the chip fails all I have to do is replace that the rest
of the parts will be robust.  They're going to be cycled a lot so I expect a lot
of failures over time.

Amar.