Testing - leap seconds

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Mon Apr 11 09:47:00 UTC 2016

While you are setting up a testing environment, you might keep in mind how to
test leap seconds.  We will test kernels too while we are at it.

There is a tangle of code that doesn't get used very often, including the GPS
leap-pending area.

I think the key part of automating things will be having a pool of systems
that can be borrowed from to run this sort of test and an automated way to
configure them.

We would need several stratum 1 servers, and several stratum 2 and/or 3
clients.

If your GPS simulator is smart enough, we can use it.  If not, we can patch a
driver.  We need to test the leap file case too.

I think the client code is supposed to use a majority vote from upstream
servers.  There may be some fine print on which servers it uses.

We should run this sort of test before a major release (even if we have to
set it up by hand).