PARSE clocks.

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Mon Nov 30 19:13:57 UTC 2015

Amar Takhar <verm at darkbeer.org>:
> I have a patch that allows for defining individual PARSE clocks.  There's no
> sense in compiling all 12 in when a user will in most cases only want one of
> them.

Cute, but I'm not sure the space savings are worth the additional
complexity cost in the build system. The whole point of the parse
driver architecture is to share code among the subtypes; thus, the
memory overhead of any N-1 is pretty small.

I just ran the numbers with size(1) and in the best case (building
with the single smallest driver) you condition out about 28K of text
space - that's 3% of the 787K build size with all refclocks, 7% of
the build size with none.

This is going to be potentially useful only on very constrained SBCs.
It's highly doubtful such systems will ever talk to a parse clock;
every Stratum 1 SBC design I've ever seen uses a GPS.

How much code does this add to the build system?