Another lesson on compare warnings please ...

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Wed Nov 25 08:54:09 UTC 2015

In ntpd/refclock_palisade.h
        short           rpt_cnt;        /* TSIP packet length so far */
        char            rpt_buf[BMAX];  /* packet assembly buffer */

>From ntpd/refclock_palisade.c
                else if (up->rpt_cnt > BMAX)

That code is correct, but I would have used sizeof(rpt_buf) rather than BMAX.
 With a little bit of poking around, you can figure out that rpt_buf is the
buffer.  With BMAX, you have to go look in another file to see that it's the
size of the buffer.

But that gets:
../ntpd/refclock_palisade.c:1415:24: warning: comparison between signed and unsigned integer expressions [-Wsign-compare]
   else if (up->rpt_cnt > sizeof(up->rpt_buf)) {

Both BMAX and sizeof work if I change the short to u_int.

So what is the type of sizeof, and what is the type of a literal constant?  I expected them to be the same.

What is the best way to do this sort of thing?

Do I get a segfault if I botch something and get an underflow on a unsigned int and then use it as an index with a 64 bit pointer?