Replay progress report

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Thu Dec 31 20:30:36 UTC 2015

esr at snark.thyrsus.com said:
> Still trying to get the peer structures set up properly in replay mode.
> It's pretty clear that a prerequisite for this is having the DNS lookups
> done, and we don't want replay to depend on being able to do DNS lookups.

> So, my latest set of changes adds the capability to force synchronous DNS
> lookup before the main loop gets started.  This is used in capture mode to
> log the lookups.  Their captures look like this:

> Replay mode picks these up from the capture, so it never actually calls
> getaddrinfo.

Right.  But it doesn't need to do that before the main loop gets started.
The pool code probably depends on doing DNS lookups from the main thread.

DNS lookups should be handled similar to receiving packets.  Record needs to
intercept the place in the main thread where it gets the answer from the
helper thread and replay needs to call the code that processes the answer
when it finds the info in the replay log.