ntpdsim status and question

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Thu Dec 31 19:37:16 UTC 2015

esr at thyrsus.com said:
> I somehow missed Tom's query.  But I note that the kind of problem Hal is
> pointing at here is very similar to the one the intercept layer solves for
> capture/replay.  Maybe that layer should implement a sim mode?

That's making the decision at run time vs compile time.

If/when we decide to build a minimal version of ntpd, I could easily imagine
that a compile time option to avoid the intercept layer would be a useful
idea.

If we want to support the simulator, I think we should get the old code
running first so we have a reference point.  It doesn't have to be pretty,
just work well enough so that we can run it and understand what it does.  If
we decide we want to actively use it long term, then we can consider
repackaging things so it is easier to maintain in our build environment.