gdb can't find symbols

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Thu Dec 17 08:44:13 UTC 2015

> I don't know how you were compiling with -g before.

My best guess is that I was confused about what/when it worked.

> No, this command was added at your request months ago. (cfe81982f)

Splitting control for the DEBUG macro and the debug flag for gdb was clearly
a good idea.

I don't know how we should handle debugging with gdb.  I think the normal
approach is to build with symbols and strip them off after installing.  But
that's based on a very small sample set.

What do other projects do and/or what do other people expect?