I don't understand Hal's emergency fix.

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Tue Dec 15 13:41:40 UTC 2015

Hal, something odd that I don't understand has been going on.

You found it necessary to insert an emergency patch to get clock
stepping working again.  But, as I read the code, that patch should
not have been needed unless something was forcing ntpd into replay
mode.

I added logging to ntpd main so it's now explicit when it is started up
in replay mode.  Then I ran ntpd -g -q to verify that without the -Y
switch it *doesn't* run in replay mode.  Clock stepping seems to occur
normally. This makes me wonder if we were looking at the same code.

I've removed your shim, leaving in the code that announces when capture
or replay mode is set (it's at ntpd/ntpd.c line 625).  Please retest. If
you don't see replay mode set and packet receive/sends are still not
haqppening, something weird and bad is going on.

More likely either you or I have made some sort of finger error, and
I'm not necessarily assuming it's you.  Let's figure this out.

General note to everybody: changing the logic of the intercept
functions - which I have to do to get replay working - is
intrinsically risky business.  Be alert for bugginess and don't be
overly surprised if I foo up. The good news is that if I do, the
errors won't be subtle.  They should be easily detectable and
recoverable.