Is asychronous DNS lookup worth keeping at all?

Chris Johns chrisj at ntpsec.org
Fri Dec 4 00:42:41 UTC 2015

On 12/04/15 10:48, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> Interesting point.  I had not considered the effect of DNS lookups
> during operation on jitter.  I thought going synchronous would merely
> delay startup om most cases, and introduce some muild lag in the pool case

The start up case is just one and I think there are more I am yet to
figure out.

> - but maybe I don't know enough about the pool case

I spent a while talking to Hal about the pools and came to see I did not
know enough about it.

> Probably significantly more painful.

I tend to think so.

> OK, mend it rather than ending.

Yes and it will happen. I am sorry my available time at the moment is
limited with the school year ending and other work factors but it will
improve.

Chris