thoughts on fake IP addresses and clock specification

Mark Atwood fallenpegasus at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 02:30:43 UTC 2015

Hi!

I am not at all a fan of using weird unroutable IPv4 addresses to specify
clock types. This is an example of Dr Mills being entirely too clever by 3
halves, and being far far too embedded in the very early history of the
internet.

It breaks layer abstraction hygiene in all sorts of ways that make me itch.

I'm actually more willing to buy that trick with IPv6 addresses, because
there are, IIRC, an actually already defined prefixes for such stunts.

OTOH, now is not the time to break away from the NTP Classic Way on this
point.  But the day is going to come when said time arrives.

..m